Vacancy for a junior civil engineer based in Jharkhand or Madhya Pradesh, India – renewed posting
We are hiring!
AidEnvironment is looking for a new junior civil engineer for the Green Transformation Pathways project funded by IKEA Foundation, to be based in Jharkhand or Madhya Pradesh, India.
AidEnvironment is a not-for-profit sustainability research, strategy and advisory organization that combines data, cutting-edge technology, systemic thinking and boots on the ground understanding to achieve transformative sector change. We produce actionable insights and implement sustainable solutions for NGOs, governments, finance institutions and businesses, with a goal to help protect and restore ecosystems and improve livelihoods.
We work within the following themes:
- Integrated and sustainable water (under the name of RAIN) and landscape management
- Deforestation and exploitation free supply chains
- Sustainable sector transformation
AidEnvironment works internationally and has three offices worldwide (Amsterdam, Indonesia and Uganda) with a team of 45 experts. We earn an income through a mix of consultancy assignments and project implementation.
Green Transformation Pathways project
Green Transformation Pathways is a two-year project funded by IKEA Foundation in the states of Jharkhand and Madhya Pradesh, India. It is implemented by the Indian organizations PRADAN (Professional Assistance for Development Action) and FES (Foundation for Ecological Security) and the Dutch organizations MetaMeta and AidEnvironment (by its RAIN team).
The project assessed that the states of Jharkhand and Madhya Pradesh suffer from the depletion of natural resources and unproductive farming systems. This, in combination with a lack of agricultural and financial services which matches the area’s potential for the development of a local economy based on feminized farming, leads to the emigration of economically ambitious populations from the project area. To change this, the GTP project aims to promote a circular economy model based on regenerative farming practices and sustainable natural resources management in which the role of women is central. This approach will be aligned with the operations of major players in the rural areas, the main public programs active in these areas, the private agro-service industries and the local governments and communities. The transformation will be supported by changes in governance arrangements, from land tenure to market arrangements.
Context of the project area
Farmers in Jharkhand and Madhya Pradesh states face challenges in agriculture, depletion of natural resources, low agricultural returns and increasing rural distress; all compounded by the impacts of climate change. In recent years there have been significant advances to find responses that are ecologically sound, socially just and economically rewarding. Still, the number of gender and environmentally friendly, profitable farmer livelihoods remains limited and scattered. It is evident now that merely scaling and replicating these efforts will not lead to transformational change, but it is necessary to orchestrate an overall system change.
Profile of new junior staff
AidEnvironment wants to recruit a junior consultant in the project team, with the following profile and tasks:
- Junior consultant
- Preferably a woman
- BE/B.Tech in civil engineering is a must
- ME/M.Tech in civil engineering
- 0-2 years’ experience in civil engineering
- Interest in low cost appropriate solutions
- Experience with design and evaluation of soil & water conservation structures (i.e. check dams) is a plus
- Good level of English
- Good level of the local languages
- Willing to be based in Jharkhand or Madhya Pradesh
- Eager to learn, innovate, cooperate
- Available from September 1st, 2022
- Project implementation: reach out to communities, organize meetings, assist in trainings, technical design, and implement (construct, set up) solutions
- Monitoring and evaluation: monitor, document, report
- Research: hold interviews, collect data, analyze, report, read and summarize relevant documents (policies, research, etc.)
- Work together with (Indian and international) consortium partners
- Think along with the project staff on challenges and solutions
- Participate in project meetings, visits, and trainings
The deadline for the renewed posting of this application is on the 31st of July, interviews will be held during the first half of August online or in Ranchi, Jharkhand or Jabalpur, Madya Pradesh.
If you have applied already for this vacancy, then there is no need to apply again.
If you are interested in the vacancy, send your cover letter and CV not later than 31st of July to:
- Niels Lenderink; senior consultant, the Netherlands; email@example.com
- Marina Vara Gutiérrez; AidEnvironment associate, the Netherlands; Marina@aidenvironment.org